which linux to go for

Thomas Ward tward at bright.net
Thu Oct 11 07:49:48 EDT 2001

Hi, well, I would recommend strongly going with Slackware 8. Slackware 8 has
been the distribution I have felt most happiest with.
Slackware uses the tgz package system, comes with the stable 2.95.3 gcc
compilers, native Speakup support for installation and post-installation,
choice of 2.4.5 or 2.2.19 kernel, and a host of speech friendly apps.
Some of my favorite apps are hangman game, mpg123, Workbone, sox, Emacs,
lynx, pine, sc, and others.

I've also used Red Hat versions 6.0, 6.1, 6.2, 7.0, and 7.1 but my interest
has faded. Red Hat 7.1 uses rpm package maniger which can at times be
troublesome, uses the gcc 2.96 compilers which I don't like, comes with the
2.4.2 kernel and there is an update for 2.4.3.12kernel, and many of the same
apps as Slackware. However, it doesn't come with some apps like hangman,
mpg123, or Workbone.
The standard release  of Red Hat doesn't have native Speakup support, but I
believe Bill has a modified release that does.
However, Red Hat has some nice config utilities  that Slackware lacks such
as linuxconf, sndconfig, and a couple of others.