trplayer and audio permissions

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Wed Oct 10 10:07:28 EDT 2001

Out of the box (slackware 8.0) audio, audio1, dsp and dsp1 appear to be
separate devices and default permissions had no privs for global others
and they are in the sys group along with some other audio sounding devices
like mixer and mixer1 and some midi devices. With this default
arrangement, no audio programs would work from normal user. At least then
I wqould get a message to the fact from programs like play and mpg123.
Realplayer, however doesn't give any messages - just plays silently. I now
have set rw for other for audio, audio1, dsp, and dsp1 but still silence
from realplayer in a normal user. Root plays fine. About the only option I
can see might be to add normal users to the sys group and give that a try.
I don't know what devices realplayer / trplayer is trying to access or why
normal users get the silent treatment.