DEC Express problem

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Oct 9 01:20:53 EDT 2001

Hello Adam.  I have at least a temporary batch file solution in place.
However, perhaps I was unclear.  I do not need  to know how to set up the
batch file, but what command line to pass to the kernel.  I assume, then,
that I should pass the root paramter, followed by ro for read only and the
synthesizer setup, right?  On my system, it is root=/dev/hda8 which is a
logical drive.  That is probably why lilo would not work.  I have never
found any clear documentation on why I would make it rw or ro when passing
to the kernel.  This seems to effect the file system somehow and I know
not to use ro with umsdos, but am not sure otherwise.  It seems to read
and write fine regardless.

The DEC Express problem I mentioned seems to be a new thing with version
0.10.  I never had that problem before and there seems to be no way around
it.  I can temporarily reset it by echoing "p" to /proc/speakup/voice but
as soon as I shut up speech it resets itself again.  I would like some way
around this short of compiling a kernel until I have more experience on
the admin end.

Yes, I am positive that lilo would not work.  I installed it twice and it
always bombed out.  I have worked around the problem by copying a working
kernel to the Windows end and using loadlin.  If I hold down "z" while
rebooting, I have a program which I wrote to automatically exit the
standard autoexec.bat and switch to Linux instead.  I will compile and
upload it if anyone else is interested.

Also, Adam, have you got a2 (the Apple II emulator) working under Linux?
I know it compiles, but has a bad habbit of constantly repeating track and
sector information.  There is a patch to fix that or a line to remove or
something, but I am not sure what it is.  If you could please look into
this I would appreciate it.  Thanks.