typing ascii chars above 127 with speakup

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Thu Oct 4 11:29:19 EDT 2001

The characters you see depend on your locail. Many programs do not
handle 8-bit stuff and are not 8-bit clean.
Your terminal and c library will also translate things so set
your LC_TYPE (check that) variable correctly.
You probably want iso8859-1 not Latin1.
On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 08:54:16AM -0500, Thomas Stivers wrote:
> I used the /proc/speakup/characters file as a reference and still cannot
> figure out why it doesn't work. I saw that the values matched my
> expectation, but I am still getting odd stuff when I type them into
> editors. If I can successfully jump this hurtle I won't have to reboot
> this damn box into winblows every other day for spanish homework. grin.
> Thanks for the suggestions.
>
> On 4 Oct 2001, Kirk Reiser wrote:
>
> > Hi Tom:  Linux uses isolatin1 by default I believe.  I don't think the
> > other os does but I'm not sure.  You can find all of the characters in
> > order and their pronunciation strings by doing:
> >
> > cat /proc/speakup/characters >chars.out
> >
> > or something along those lines.  I believe there is a diacritical you
> > can also type and the following key hit does a conversion but I do not
> > remember the magic sequence currently.
> >
> >   Kirk
> >
> > --
> >
> > Kirk Reiser				The Computer Braille Facility
> > e-mail: kirk at braille.uwo.ca		University of Western Ontario
> > phone: (519) 661-3061

Kerry Hoath: kerry at gotss.net kerry at gotss.eu.org or  kerry at gotss.spice.net.au
ICQ UIN: 8226547