Plug & Play Monitors?

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Wed Oct 3 12:52:08 EDT 2001

Yes Linux supports VESA power saving features.
man setterm and it will tell you how to enable it for the console.
It will wake up however if syslog or another program scrolls text to the screen
since if it didn't you'd never see a kernel panic.

Regards, Kerry.
On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 07:58:58AM -0700, Steve Holmes wrote:
> I'm aware of screen blanking but I was thinking more of the "power saving"
> feature of these newer monitors. I wonder if that is possible under linux?
> Those things can heat up quite a big when left sitting around all day. I
> know, there is the power off button:) but I'm just trying to do the same
> thing those windows boys are doing. Once in a little while, windows
> actually comes up with something nice:)
>
> On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Frank Carmickle wrote:
>
> > Steve
> >
> > console blanking is enabled by default on most distros.  In slackware look
> > for 'blank' in /etc/rc.d/rc.M and I can't find where it does it on my
> > debian system.  It is an option to setterm called -blank if you can find
> > it.

Kerry Hoath: kerry at gotss.net kerry at gotss.eu.org or  kerry at gotss.spice.net.au
ICQ UIN: 8226547