New Kernel Survival Strategies

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Tue Oct 2 14:17:27 EDT 2001

Absolutely, all the way around.

Bill's is an ftp site that you can access via anonymous ftp at
speakup.octothorp.org.

Once there, cd /pub/redhat and further as appropriate. There is indeed a
full Redhat 7.1 installation set. The file you want, and it's path is:

/pub/redhat-7.1/d1/images/boot.img

This is the image for the floppy. If you don't already have it, you will
also need rawrite which is at:

/pub/redhat-7.1/d1/dosimages/rawrite.exe

This is a DOS executable for creating floppies from floppy image files.

NOTE: You may need to kill your screen reader while running rawrite in
order to avoid data corruption on the floppy. It may also be advisable to
run from an actual DOS boot, or a shutdown to MS-DOS as opposed to running
in a DOS window in Windows.

You can safely run your screen reader while answering questions from
rawrite. It will ask you what file you want to use for the image, what
drive to write to, and a third question probably like "press enter when
ready." I don't recall the exact sequence, but it's OK to wait until the
third question to kill speech. That way, you need only press enter and
wait for the floppy to stop spinning.

Good luck, and stay in touch about this. We'll get you up in linux yet!
<grin>