strange question

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Tue Oct 2 09:12:25 EDT 2001

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Martin G. McCormick wrote:
> 	I second the advice to not fear configuring kernels.  The
> main thing is to first do no harm.  If you have a working kernel,
> by all means, save it.  .....

Better yet, just leave it just as it is. After you compile your new kernel
copy/move it to the /boot directory (or partition) and then make another
entry in lilo.conf for the new kernel. You can copy everything from your
current (hopefully working) entry changing the label and the name of the
kernel itself. If this is the only modification, then you can boot back by
simply doing nothing. If you want to try the new kernel hit the tab key
right as the computer starts to boot. Then type the label for hte new
kernel and hit enter.

Things to avoid are believing you need to name your kernel just like the
one that is there (probably vmlinuz). This is great for making it so that
anyone can find it. But you can always refer to lilo as well. I name mine
with a combo of version info and other stuff (such as 2.2.17-music for
when I configured to use the also drivers). This makes it easy for me to
tell what was for what. I like to keep multiple kernels arround. If
something goes goofy in hardware one may be able to get by the problem.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missle at
a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive."
	- President George Bush