strange question

Martin G. McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Tue Oct 2 07:48:20 EDT 2001

	I second the advice to not fear configuring kernels.  The
main thing is to first do no harm.  If you have a working kernel,
by all means, save it.  I am sure we have all had new kernels
that just sat there doing nothing on boot because it either
turned out that that kernel wasn't suitable for our system or
that we made a terrible mistake in configuring it.

	I once configured a new kernel for a Dell system that
uses a SCSI bus for the hard drive.  I forgot about that because
I also use a Dell system which is very similar to this one only
with an IDE drive.  The result was a paper weight of a computer
until I could boot an old kernel and get the system back to life
again.

	The biggest problem you will have in setting up kernels,
at times, is finding out enough about your hardware to answer the
questions properly.  If you do that, you've taken care of the
worst part of the whole thing.

	Right now, I have one kernel that boots perfectly on a
Dell system, but which doesn't work quite right with sound, and
another kernel which works better with sound, but which is
obsolete.

	That kind of thing is what you will often-times run in to
in the kernel game.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Network Operations Group