ot, network neighborhood under win 95osr2 and samba

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Fri Nov 23 21:56:42 EST 2001

Make sure your samba server is using encrypted passwords.
Win95 OSR2 does not like to browse a server that is not running
lanman encryptian.
Make sure that the guest user is valid on the samba server; browsing is done as guest.
Make sure broadcast and netmask are configured correctly. If the machine has
multiple interfaces and you don't need samba over ppp or whatever that you set the
interfaces line to only browse on the ethernet.
Set your samba server up for wins i.e. wins support=yes
and set *EVERY* other machien to point at the wins server.
Wins minimizes broadcast trafic and optimizes netbios browsing.
You could try sending nmbd some usr1 singals to increase debug level and watch the nmbd log file
to see if the name queries from the windows box are beeing
seen by the samba server.

HOpe this helps.

Regards, Kerry.

Kerry Hoath:  kery at gotss.net kerry at gotss.eu.org or  kerry at gotss.spice.net.au