when running linux.bat

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Nov 23 20:33:14 EST 2001

Hello.  My linux.bat was a single line, similar to the following.  If you
are using umsdos, change accordingly, but I really do not recommend umsdos
if you can avoid it.

c:\linux\loadlin vmlinuz root=/dev/hda9 ro speakup_synth=dectlk

Let us quickly look at the above.  Replace c:\linux with the real path to
your Linux kernel.  Also, replace vmlinuz with the kernel name.  I had
several different kernels available, so I had names like lnx2219 (for
2.2.19), lnx2412 (for 2.4.12) etc.  Note that this method works with
Slackware and Debian with no problems.  Finally, the root device is just
that, the root of your Linux filesystem.  I used /dev/hda8 or /dev/hda9
which were logical drives.  This way I could still boot to Windows but had
an entrance into Linux as well.  Note that lilo breaks with this
setup.  The "ro" means read-only for filesystem checking.  You pass Speakup
parameters on the command line, so "dectlk" is the DEC Expres.  The
"speakup_synth=" is a variable needed by the kernel for the Speakup
synthesizer.  I hope that helps.

If you are interested, I also had my system set up so I could hold down "z"
at boot to bypass the rest of the Windows boot and jump right into
Linux.  It worked well.