Gnopernicus

Frank Carmickle frankiec at braille.uwo.ca
Sun Nov 11 10:59:20 EST 2001

On Sat, 10 Nov 2001, Thomas Ward wrote:

> That's why I think all of us want to use Linux. If it is free that means
> more money to spend else-where.

No! No! No!  Your missing the point completely!  It's not about the
$$$.  It's about freedom!  The freedom to know what your computer is
doing.  The freedom to change software to make it do what you want it
to.  The freedom to allow others to have that same freedom that you
do.  And yes if you want to charge for it you can.  I would pay and have
payed big $$$ to have people write freesoftware.  I would rather put food
on the table of someone who will contribute lots of code to
freesoftware.  They need to eat too.

> This free software thinking will eventually bring down the major
> corperations in the long run, because they won't be able to hang on to all
> the customers. However, it will be in favor of the lower classes, because
> those like Microsoft have kept technology at arms length from those who
> couldn't afford it, and sold it to companies and anyone who would shell out
> the cash.

Maybe so.  But this isn't why I like freesoftware.

--
     Frank Carmickle
phone:     412 761-9568
email:     frankiec at dryrose.com