samba problem.

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Wed May 23 16:22:38 EDT 2001

Hi:

I realise you're going about doing a much more complicated samba setup than
I use, but it might be worth telling what I did.

I only really want to read windows shares from linux, as I have no real
need to go the other way.  I just set the shares up in windows, then used
the mount command as per normal to mount it.  Mount calls smbmount in order
to achieve this.  The syntax for mounting smb shares is:

mount -t smbfs //host/sharename /mountpoint

The mount procedure will prompt you for the password.

So for example, I mount my primary windows drive as follows:

mount -t smbfs //picard/c /windows/c

Where picard is the name of the windows box, c is the sharename on the
windows box, and /windows/c is the mount point (this last one could just as
easily be /mnt or whatever).

Geoff.