samba problem.

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Tue May 22 08:09:20 EDT 2001

First, I am not a samba expert. But I would start with *not* leaving one
line in a section commented. If you don't like the default of what is on
the line, change the value. Whether this has any effect or not is beyond
me. One line I noticed commented out that I never left out was the
hosts-allow line. I would uncomment it and modify it accordingly.

Second, realize that the sambe server and the sambe client are only
related in that they come from the same place and work in oposite
directions. Attempting to use the samba client to troubleshoot the sambe
server is pointless. They work independantly. (The execption is that you
can use the samba client to try connecting to the sambe server on the same
machine.

Finally, don't trust Network Neighborhood. By m$ specs, not showing up
there is not a sign of malfunction. If you can run the command \\server
and a window opens it works. (I found making linux the master browser did
work better here.)

That being said, first step is to ping each of the machines. Ping by name
and ping by number. (I would also get rid of wins. It only helps in a
segmented network. Use a hosts file instead.) If you can ping then attempt
to connect. From the w2k machine attempt to run \\ipaddress. Hopefully it
will bring up a login box. (Remember simple is better.)

Finally, if you can't seem to get past the login box revisit your decision
to use encrypted passwords. Last time I played with samba there was a
couple paragraphs about getting this to work. It just seemed much easier
to modify my registry and go on with life.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

Nothing is hard if you know the answer or are used to doing it.