speakup/install failed

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Thu May 17 17:34:47 EDT 2001

Well, this is laudable, certainly. But, why suffer? You have better
control if you are running the system natively rather than over telnet
or some such. Also, the redhat install you're on is quite out of date. I
still would recommend you get the Bill Acker iso's and install an up to
date linux package. Then, grab an even later kernel and practice. You'll
always have the other kernel as a boot option. Yes, that's something
else Windows people don't realize--as you boot linux you can choose
among many kernels to boot with.

To answer some of your other questions:

Redhat numbers are iterative and relate to Redhat only.

insmod is 'insert module' and you almost certainly have it. If you
actually need to see where it lives use the locate command as follows:

	locate insmod

If you really want long file names, have at it. They're most certainly
supported in linux. Just remember to put them in quotes if you're using
spaces in the file names, as , for example:

	"My Long File Name.txt"