software speech for speakup

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Tue May 15 00:03:26 EDT 2001

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 07:31:07PM -0400, Scott Howell wrote:
> Am I insane or are there really main boards out there with no serial
> ports? I'd rid myself of that board immediately.<grin>

Hate to say this, but the attitude is what sets back accesibility in the
first place. Yes, I would suggest avoiding this if buying new equipment
and you have a serial synth. But this is the future. The fact is that a
serial port is a resource hog. Perhaps preasure should instead be put on
manufactures to offer other access means such as PCI and USB synths.

Before anyone starts on USB, it is very possible to detect some hardware
on the port before init starts. Keyboards and mice are both capable of
support in BIOS. There is no reason another device couldn't piggyback the
same means.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

Nothing is hard if you know the answer or are used to doing it.