Speakup -- as a kernel module instead of patch

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Mon May 14 16:02:33 EDT 2001

Hi:

Firstly, referring to your subject line, whether speakup is a module or
whether it will allow modularised synth drivers has nothing to do with
whether the source is a patch or not.  The reason speakup is a patch is
that the powers that be have not yet given their blessing to speakup being
included in the standard kernel tree, though Kirk is working on it.  As
such, you have to patch the sources so that it is included in your kernel
compile.

On Mon, 14 May 2001, Rich Caloggero wrote:

> Is this a posibility/probability in the future? Is their a reason why this
> is not posible or probable?

Synth drivers as modules will happen, it's just a matter of when.  Kirk is
working on it, but you have to appreciate that this involves a considerable
reddesign of some of speakup's internals to implement (i.e. it's not a
small job).  I don't know if anyone's ever considered loading speakup
itself as a module.  I'd be a bit curious as to whether there would be any
point to doing this, save for the fact that you would have the ability to
completely unload it, should you want to.  Personally, I avoid modules
wherever possible.

> SPeakup is needed as soon as posible,
> before init starts. Do modules only run after init starts?

My guess would be yes, since init is process 1.  One thing is for certain,
speakup is not going to be able to start talking as early as it currently
does if you use loadable modules.  It will have to start later and the
people who have devices that need to be written as modules (e.g. dec pc)
will just have to live with that.

Geoff.