software speech for speakup

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Mon May 14 14:28:07 EDT 2001

On Sun, 13 May 2001, Gregory Nowak wrote:

> blazer here. I thought of setting up speech through the blazer's parallel
> port, and using the line printer console. However, when I include
> "console=lp0" on the loadlin command line, the kernel oopses, and I don't
> know of how to activate the console on /dev/lp0 after logon. Any

There might be some conflict here with speakup and such options.  When Kirk
so wonderfully wrote the transport driver for me and I compiled speakup
into 2.2.12, I had serial consoles compiled in at the time, though I
hadn't actually set the thing up.  Speakup 0.08 did not like this at all
and oopsed out.  Removing it from my kernel fixed it nicely.  I don't know
if anything has been done about this or not, but it's possible that such
code will not work at all with speakup installed.

Geoff.