software speech for speakup

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Sun May 13 20:12:12 EDT 2001

Hi Greg:  Thank you for your well reasoned thoughts.  I did not say I
wouldn't support or write a driver for Via Voice.  What I have said is
that it is not on my priority list.  Its proprietary nature is
certainly a good reason not to support it in my opinion though.  My
problem with Via Voice or festival for that matter is their size.
Once I have modules working and have implemented Tuxtalk and the
Dectalk pc drivers, I would be willing to consider a package such as
Via Voice.  I am not sure just how large of module can be loaded into
the kernel, maybe it doesn't matter at all, I simply don't know
currently.  Until I have some of the other things on my plate
completed though, I'm not even willing to consider it in a serious
way.  I would rather help by improving Tuxtalk until it is a
satisfactory substitute.

  Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061