A new user trying to install linux

Pete De Vasto pdevasto at incyte.com
Tue May 8 11:08:15 EDT 2001

Hi, all:

I'm not the same New user" that did the earlier notes on this thread, but
I'm still a little confused here...  I knew that with RedHat 6.2 I needed
to upgrade the Kernel to get my system to speak, but I thought that with
Redhat 7.1 and Kernel 2.4.2 that speakup was already compiled in and once I
did the install I could get my system to talk with the right
parameters.  I'm in the process of downloading the kernel RPM's from the
octothorp web site, but is it true that I really do have to install these?

Bill had taken me through the install when I had 6.2, but I lost the notes
I had tried to take.  I do remember that I needed to remove all the
existing RPM's, then install, but I know I also had to go into lilo to
complete the process.  I don't remember that part (sigh).  bil, can you or
someone remind me?  Is there anything written anywhere regarding how to do
this?  If not, I'm thinking seriously of putting something together.

Thanks for any help.
Pete De Vasto
At 09:16 PM 5/5/01 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi, Rejean,
>
>      Since you already have the 7.1 CD's, you can go to
>ftp://speakup.octothorp.org/pub/redhat-7.1// and download the boot images
>there.  At the boot prompt, type: text speakup_synth=dectlk
>If the synth still dozen speak, try: text speakup_synth=dectlk
>speakup_ser=0
>

>The kernel RPM's are also in the same directory on the FTP site.  After
>installation, you can install the RPM's to make your system speak.  If you
>have any questions, call or write.
>

>           73.
>           Bill in Denver

Pete De Vasto
Unix Systems  Administrator           Phone:  650-621-8582
Incyte Genomics, Inc.                      Fax:    650-621-7607
3174 Porter Drive                             Mobile: 650-274-8670
Palo Alto, CA  94304                       Email:  pdevasto at incyte.com