install linux (fwd)

Frank Carmickle frankiec at braille.uwo.ca
Tue May 8 04:51:19 EDT 2001

> Got a weird one.  I have a pc which I'm trying to install Linux on.  The
> deal is that it has an atapi ide cdrom but scsi only hard drives.  If I
> use the bare.i only the cdrom is seen where as if I use the bbare.s only
> the hard drives are seen.  I have compiled a kernel for another box that
> is similar which has support for both the ide cdrom and the scsi host
> controler.  My question is whether there is a way that I'm obviously
> overlooking to install slackware on this box or can I use something like
> rawrite and write the compiled kernel I have onto a floppy?  If I do that
> do I justtake the kernel file itsefl and just rawrite it to the floppy or
> do I have do do something specific?

A very easy way around this problem is to install over the network.  Just
put the cd in to an up and running machine.  Do a quick nfs setup and
mount the drive on the machine that your going to be installing on.  I
prefer to do it that way all the time for some strange reason.

Frank

--
     Frank Carmickle
phone:     412 761-9568