workbone and speakup

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at worldfront.com
Sat May 5 21:33:57 EDT 2001

Depending on what you want to do, you do have several choices for a cd
player.  There is workbone (which I haven't used but with which I'm going
to experiment), cdcd (I have used and like it), cda (packaged with xmcd
but does not require xwindows, only there are some things you can't do in
cda that can only be done with xmcd; basically functional though).  What I
do like about cda is that
you can access the cddb database which you can no longer do with cdcd; I
know there is some controbersy about whether to use cddb because of their
policies but am just giving you your options.  Then, in searching debian
packages, I also found dcd (Dave's cd player) which is supposed to be a
simple command-line player which can also be used as an alarm clock.  With
some of these packages, cdtool was also mentioned as a good support to
have.  Sorry I can't give more concrete information but I'm just
experimenting myself.  You probably already know about options for ripping
and creating mp3 files, and this is slightly off of the subject of your
question.  However, I have been wanting to ask about "abcde".  I use it
when I want to make mp3s of a whole cd and like it; my only problem is
that it uses wget to go out to the cd database and download the
information for the cd which it then uses to create the titles in the
directory.  Of course cddb is now spitting out wget with "unauthorized
client" so I end up having to fill in the template for the cd myself.  Has
anybody found a legal work-around for this problem.  I was thinking that
if I could get the abcde program to access the information from my
database from the cda package, this would be a solution, but I don't know
how complicated that would be.

                              Cheryl