A new user trying to install linux

Gregory Nowak romualt at megsinet.net
Sat May 5 12:10:38 EDT 2001

Hi,

Welcome aboard. I'm not sure which kernel/speakup version redhat 7.0 boot disks use, but my guess is 2.2.16 kernel and 0.09 speakup. If this is so, there is a known problem with speakup 0.09 where it doesn't initialize serial synths correctly. You can try two things that I know of. First, you can keep rebotting until your synth starts talking (which does eventually work). Alternatively, try to boot with a DOS/windows boot disk, and warm boot with ctrl+alt+del into Linux. You can also upgrade to kernel 2.2.18 or higher which would allow you to upgrade to speakup 0.10a (although I'm afraid that won't help you now).
Regards,
Greg