Janina's mail problem.

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Mon Mar 26 13:47:25 EST 2001

My default hosts file which came from the Slackware 7.1 distro contains a
very interesting comment which might be causing some of your problems.
Let me attach my hosts file into this message including the original
comments.  I do not name my machine on the 127.0.0.1 (loop back) address.
I put my machine name on the network address (192.168.1.1 in this case.
------ hosts file -------
#
# hosts		This file describes a number of hostname-to-address
#		mappings for the TCP/IP subsystem.  It is mostly
#		used at boot time, when no name servers are running.
#		On small systems, this file can be used instead of a
#		"named" name server.  Just add the names, addresses
#		and any aliases to this file...
#
# By the way, Arnt Gulbrandsen <agulbra at nvg.unit.no> says that 127.0.0.1
# should NEVER be named with the name of the machine.  It causes problems
# for some (stupid) programs, irc and reputedly talk. :^)
#

# For loopbacking.
127.0.0.1	localhost
192.168.1.1 lnx1.holmesgrown.com lnx1
192.168.1.2 steve.holmesgrown.com steve
192.168.1.3 winme1.holmesgrown.com winme1
192.168.1.4 lnx2.holmesgrown.com lnx2

# End of hosts.