E-Smith Server Distro kernel patch failure

Blindgeek007 rvkassen at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 20 17:10:21 EST 2001

E-smith Server is an implementation of Linux based on Redhat 7.0.  At first,
I tried to boot with a Redhat 7.0 speakup enabled boot disk to install the
E-smith Server distribution.  It was looking for a kickstart file on the
diskette because E-smith requires their own brand of boot disk to install.
When that did not work, I just simply tried copying the vmlinuz file from
the speakup-enabled boot disk to the E-smith boot disk thinking that the
kernel from the Redhat disk would work (it did not).  Now that I have
provided some comic relief to this group, I will tell you that I installed
E-smith server with sighted assistance, then attempted to do the kernel
patch with speakup to get the thing talking with my dectalk express.
Actually, it doesn't matter what synthesizer I was using, because when I did
the ./install, it said that a bunch of files didn't exist and all the
patches failed.  If you want the whole mess of messages, I can get them for
you, but it will be later.  when I tried to do the make command, I got a
command not recognized message.  Any thoughts?
P.S.  To find more information on the E-smith implementation, go to
www.e-smith.org.  Yes, I am a newbie, and I am working with a machine that I
can blow up if I need to - it has nothing on it - I am experimenting.  Hope
this question is not too elementary...

Ron