OT: Pipe it to /dev/null

Ari Moisio armoi at sci.fi
Fri Mar 9 16:36:33 EST 2001

Janina Sajka 07.03.01:

>Kick the bad guys off your computer.
>
>That's right. Get those cookie monstors out of there. After all, where you
>browse and what you access is nobody's business but your own--unless, of
>course, you choose to make it someone's business.

  I have never considered cookies a big security or privacy
risk. Basically they are only data your browser will receive from server
and submit back to same server vhen requested. They don't transmit any
extra data from your computer to the internet and they do not make
browser to send any extra data either.

  For example Google.com uses cookies to preserve user preferences
between sessions and i like that concept more than registering into some
service and keeping preference data on server. If i ever consider goocle
as a privacy problem i can just delete it's cookies and my privacy is
restored.

  But fortunately Lynx will offer quite good tools to manipulate cookie
usage anyway. With persistent cookies disabled there is not much
information to leak about surfing habits.

...nesteenpoistolääkkeet ovat pelkkää kusetusta...
--
Mr. Ari Moisio, Niittykatu 7, 41160 Tikkakoski, +358-40-5055239
ari.moisio at iki.fi http://www.iki.fi/arimo PGP-keyID: 0x3FAF0F05