tar archives

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Wed Mar 7 17:16:09 EST 2001

I am sorry if I sounded flippant in my earlier "enchanted
computer" remark. I cannot understand why Frank's less works differently
from mine, or rather why my copy of less works differently on Frank's
system than it does on mine. Mine is version 354, it came as part of my
Slackware 7.1 distribution which I downloaded from the website, and it
does all kinds of convenient things. It shows an "ls -l" type directory
listing of not only .tgz archives, but .bz2 archives as well. I even store
my copies of Linux Gazette in files of this sort: "issue##.txt.gz" where
'##' is the issue number, and read them by just typing "less
issue##.txt.gz".  It silently just unzips (okay, 'gunzips') those puppies
and puts the original text content of all the items on the screen, with
all the functio;nality of less immediately available.

Does it work like that for anyone else?

Chuck

My web site is http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh
The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (95% of Full)