tar archives.

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Wed Mar 7 08:33:26 EST 2001

Hi Frankie -

My less shows me a directory listing of .tgz files resembling the ones
produced by "ls -l". I just type "less filename.tgz"  and there it is. I
compared that with the "tar -xtf filename.tgz" method, and found that all
the same files were shown, except the latter method shows only the names -
not permissions, ownership, etcetera. My less reports 354 as a version
number. I did nothing special here to make it happen (at least not on
purpose!)

Chuck
 On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Frank Carmickle wrote:

> Hi Chuck
> How do you get less to view what's in a tarball?  If you use zless maybe
> you could see that with out using other means but less doesn't know how to
> gunzip.
>
>      Frank Carmickle

My web site is http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh
The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (93% of Full)