New Braille Notetaker From Papenmeier

Stephen Dawes sdawes at gov.calgary.ab.ca
Wed Jun 27 13:24:36 EDT 2001

The Kilo concept comes from the metric measurement system.  1K = 1000 units.
E.G. 1KM = 1000 meters. 1KG = 1000 Grams.

The computer industry has adopted this for its Kilobytes, even though a
Kilobyte is 1024 bytes.

You may have also seen Y2K for Year 2000, and the dreaded Win2K for Windows
2000.

Now just to confuse the issue, M is the roman numeral for 1000.

HTH!
Stephen Dawes B.A. B.Sc.
Web Business Office, The City of Calgary
PHONE:  (403) 268-5527.
FAX: (403) 268-6423
E-MAIL ADDRESS:  sdawes at gov.calgary.ab.ca
Internet: http://www.gov.calgary.ab.ca