/proc/speakup and keymap problems with Speakup-0.10A

Victor Tsaran tsar at sylaba.poznan.pl
Tue Jun 26 17:57:36 EDT 2001

Hello, listers!
I am trying to compile Speakup-0.10A from the website against the 2.4.2-2 kernel that comes with Redhat7.1. Yes, this is true that I get several "failed hunks", but the new kernel compiles and installs successfully.
Now, when I boot up, I get speech, but
1. No Speakup keymap is loaded, so I am unable to use any of the Speakup's keystrokes;
2. The entries in the /proc/speakup tree do not return any value nor do they accept any. Therefore, I am also unalbe to change parameters of my synthesizer, which is Doubletalk LT.
Do any of you have an idea of how I can approach the troubleshooting process? I am sure that Bill Acker and other Redhatters went through this already.
I'd appreciate any advice.
Best,
Victor