your OS?

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Mon Jun 18 11:23:00 EDT 2001

Jim:

I suspect the answers to your question won't be simple. So, bear in mind
that you can give yourself the option to boot DOS. You could even retain
an option to boot Windows if need be. Then, if you discover that dosemu
and VMware take care of all your needs, you can blow those partitions away
and give yourself another native linux partition. Until then, you keep
your options open.

Anyway, this is how I'd approach it. And, I think this approach is good
practice if for no other reason than you'll take some time to come up to
speed with these other tools. Meanwhile, if you need to get a task done
with the tools you already know how to use, you won't be up the proverbial
creek without that proverbial paddle.

Now, I suspect you'll be able to port your code very nicely. How much
editing will depend on how you've written it, I guess. But it should port.

Do we still need Windows? I do--but then I have to read/write WordPerfect
documents (.wpd extension), and I haven't found a tool (or figured how to
hack Linux WP) to do the conversion from within Linux. Also, for the time
being, if you need MIDI sequencing and/or multi-track sound editing, you
need Windows.