FAQ gally proof

Yvonne Smith yvonne at thewatch.net
Mon Jun 18 02:12:51 EDT 2001

As far as I can tell, your best bet at the moment seems to be running
emacspeak with outloud <the internal synthe> and running speakup on an
external synthe. That is, of course, unless you've got two serial
ports you can devote to speech and two external synthesisers, which I
think is a bit unlikely for most of us. To be honest, that's a lot of
the reason I haven't gotten much into speakup. I spend a lot of time
reading and editing text, and I'm familiar and comfortable with emacs
as an editor after the length of time I've used it. Even though
there're things I'd like to do with Speakup, I'm greedy. I want both
worlds, and the fact of the matter is that since I need my computer
for work, and I know emacspeak inside out and backwards, I'm not in a
position at the moment where I can completely rearrange my work
habbits to use speakup. Oh well, someday I will, no doubt. Probably
the first time I need to get an install done by myself, <grin>.