FAQ gally2: The easiest way to install

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sun Jun 17 12:25:35 EDT 2001

The part of the FAQ that describes the "easiest way" to get speakup is on
the wrong track, but is quite incorrect.

Problem: People ;do not "download a kernel for their synthesizer." This is
not how it is, but it is what's written currently.

Correction Suggestion:

Select the linux distribution you want to install and download the
installation files for that distribution from the speakup web site. Do not
download them from any source that doesn't explicitly say speakup, because
you want to be sure and get the version that already has speakup included
with it.

The second part is really about how to launch the installation once the
distro is obtained and the floppies correctly created with rawrite or dd.
The guidance given currently is essentially correct. But, it could be
clearer. In particular, it should be made clear that the first prompt will
not speak, and that people will need to type without speech to indicate
what synth they have and where it is connected so that the program will
know what synth to talk to and where to find it. This is what
speakup_synth and speakup_ser mean, respectively.