Shaun Oliver shauno at goanna.net.au
Fri Jun 15 11:08:30 EDT 2001

On 15 Jun 2001, Kirk Reiser wrote:

> Hi Anne:  You are right, except I haven't figured out how to express
> the problem as question and answer.  Maybe someone else can help with
> that.
>
> We have two problems which come up fairly often with new prospective
> speakup users: Rawriting a bad disk because the users screen reader
> got in the way; and not selecting the correct way to download in
> Internet Explorer.
>
> The first situation with rawrite is because rawrite.exe is a timing
> based copy program and most screen readers use interrupts to assure
> they get their fair share or more of the processor.  Usually all you
> need do is quiet speech while the copy is taking place.
>
> In the case of Internet Explorer, it assumes that all links are text
> and thus replaces 0x0d characters with 0x0d0a.  In other words adding
> an appropriate line feed.  Unfortunately, in the process of adding
> line feeds to a binary program you really screw up the instruction
> set.  So even if you rawrite the file correctly the downloading
> process fucked up the image.
this is essentially true kirk. however, if you do as I mentioned in an
earlier posting and use the ftp prefix to connect to a server, you won't
get the problem of bad images.
for arguments sake, let's assume I want to get the checkout script from
the speakup ftp server. here's how I would approach it.
I would launch internet explorer, press ctrl+o for the open dialog then
enter in the following: ftp://linux-speakup.org/pub/speakup
the anonymous login and sending the email as a password is taken care of
by ie.
however, having said that, sometimes there is something wrong with the
initial transfer of data and I find that a backspace to the next directory
up usually solves the problem.
> > There is an option in I.E. under one of the menus, maybe file, which
> will download the file without translating.  I do not use windows so I
> can't tell you what the correct set of steps is for Internet
> Explorer.  Hopefully, someone else here will volunteer that procedure.

Shaun..
"We realise we have a problem with communication. However, we're not going
to discuss it with our staff."
EMAIL: shauno at goanna.net.au ICQ: 76958435
YAHOO ID: blindman01_2000 IRC NICK/SERVER: |3|1ndm4n on #aussiefriends on
www.jong.com:6667