Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Fri Jun 15 10:53:05 EDT 2001

Hi Anne:  You are right, except I haven't figured out how to express
the problem as question and answer.  Maybe someone else can help with
that.

We have two problems which come up fairly often with new prospective
speakup users: Rawriting a bad disk because the users screen reader
got in the way; and not selecting the correct way to download in
Internet Explorer.

The first situation with rawrite is because rawrite.exe is a timing
based copy program and most screen readers use interrupts to assure
they get their fair share or more of the processor.  Usually all you
need do is quiet speech while the copy is taking place.

In the case of Internet Explorer, it assumes that all links are text
and thus replaces 0x0d characters with 0x0d0a.  In other words adding
an appropriate line feed.  Unfortunately, in the process of adding
line feeds to a binary program you really screw up the instruction
set.  So even if you rawrite the file correctly the downloading
process fucked up the image.

There is an option in I.E. under one of the menus, maybe file, which
will download the file without translating.  I do not use windows so I
can't tell you what the correct set of steps is for Internet
Explorer.  Hopefully, someone else here will volunteer that procedure.

  Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061