getting redhat 7.0 working with speakup

William F. Acker WB2FLW +1-303-777-8123 wacker at octothorp.org
Sun Jun 10 21:37:52 EDT 2001

Hi,

     Go to ftp://speakup.octothorp.org/pub/redhat-7.0.  Download the boot
image file. The names are boot.img, for installing from CDROM or local
HDD, bootnet.img for installing from the network, and pcmcia.img used to
install from a PCMCIA card including cdrom hdd or network.  Make the
floppy using the rawrite utility found in the dosutils directory of the
first installation CD.  When you boot from the floppy, you'll hear a
little activity followed by a pause.  In the pause, type: text
speakup_synth=dtlk
This assumes that you have a doubletalk internal.  dectlk is for the
DecTalk Express, audptr is the Audapter, apolo is for the Apollo, ltlk for
both Doubletalk external synths, acntsa for the external accent, acntpc
for the internal, spkout for the Speakout.  I hope I haven't left
anything out.  After the floppy finishes spinning, you should hear your
synth start to talk.  You should be on the language selection.  Press
enter For English.  Next, you'll be presented with a menu of keyboard
selections.  Find the one that says something like "speakup.map".  If you
got this far, the rest should be easy.  If you have any questions, call or
write.  Calling will usually get a faster response.

          HTH and 73.
          Bill