I'm writing a FAQ.\

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Wed Jun 6 21:42:29 EDT 2001

Gregory:

I suspect most users, unlike you, wouldn't know what a c compiler was, either. And, in the exceptional circumstances
when they do, they're also going to understand that a kernel patch for linux isn't going to work when applied in an
unrelated OS like Windows. Yes, Windows folks might think they could compile speakup, assuming they understand about
compilation. But, that's because Windows screen readers are just applications on the Windows desktop. So, they might,
quite erroneously, but most understandably assume that speakup is an application. But, a little digging under the hood
clearly indicates otherwise.

None of this, to my mind, belongs in any kind of beginner's speakup FAQ. The purpose of the FAQ, as I understand it, is
to provide the answers for the most frequently asked questions. In my years on the speakup list, I can barely recall a
cygwin discussion anyway near as long as this one we're having now.

Also, the purpose of the FAQ, I believe, is to make people comfortable with speakup by providing clear and concise
explanations that people can use to get themselves up and running. How about we leave the cyqwin question for the
advanced FAQ? I just think it would repel potential users, not empower and assist them.