I'm writing a FAQ.

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sun Jun 3 14:34:48 EDT 2001

Hi, Ann:

Glad to hear you're doing a FAQ for speakup. I would like to make several suggestions:

1.)	I recommend creating the FAQ in html. That waym, the questions included can be listed at the top as hyperlinks,
but these can be pound anchors (#) so that the document can still be read from top to bottom easily;

2.)	I think some of the questions you propose can be consolidated. I will indicate those below where I've quoted
your message;

3.)	I think there are some additional points that come up often enough that they should get addressed. These
include:

	Using speakup--a brief tour of the functionality in the numeric keypad and also a brief tour of /proc/speakup;

	It seems most common these days that people do not install speakup on an existing linux computer. Rather, they
deal with installing speakup and linusx at the same time. Thus, I would softpedal any discussion of "what distro is
best?" Rather I would name the several options and discuss the ways one can install both speakup and linux at the same
time--i.e. the various canned distributions already enabled with speakup;

Lastly, I would include a list of the speakup keywords such as dectlk ltlk etc for use in the speakup_ser=ltlk and
speakup_synth=1 situations. These don't seem to be documented anywhere.

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Ann Parsons wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Some or all of you may know me.  I'm Ann Parsons.  Kirk has asked me
> to write a FAQ about Speakup.  I need your help.
>
> First, I would like you to send me any additional questions you think
> might be relevant.  You could post them to the list, but it might clog
> things up, dunnow.
>
> Second, I need answers to the questions below and to the questions you
> propose for the FAQ.  Again, post to me personally or  to me and to
> the list.
>
> I would like to see this FAQ contain twenty-five questions, max!  Any
> more than that, and people's eyes will glaze over.    If I get more
> than twenty-five questions, I'll see if any can be dropped, or if they
> can be consolidated.  I'm striving for a smooth, readable FAQ, not too
> technical, but technical enough to get someone started on using
> Speakup.
>
> Ann P.
>

> 			     SPEAKUP FAQ

The following set of questions should be combined. They may be the easiest to write about, but they're less interesting
for someone who wants to get up and running: