Virtual consoles and other stuff.

Brian Borowski brianb at braille.uwo.ca
Tue Jul 24 22:22:23 EDT 2001

You can learn more about virtual consoles by 'man console'.
There can be at least 63 of them, accessed by alt-fn ctrl-alt-fn, or as we
usually do, just cycle through them with alt-left-arrow/right-arrow.  You
have instances of getty spawned from inittab for each console (one per
console) and then send a  SIGHUP to init  (pid 1) to get it to spawn the
getty's.  I have read somewhere that consoles use up to  a meg of memory
each, but that seems like too much to me.

I sent Kirk a properly generated piece of the cc.out, generated by:
make bzImage >cc.out 2>&1 &
for the attempted compile of speakup with linux-2.4.7, but he's probably
already generated the same thing by now.

Brian Borowski