Writing mail while offline.

Holmes, Steve SAHolmes at ahcccs.state.az.us
Tue Jul 24 14:23:24 EDT 2001

It was already mentioned in a previous message that sendmail could be chosen
as your default mail server.  I do recall however, that a DNS lookup occurs
when pine attempts to send mail even though the mail is handled by the local
mail transport agent.  I remember with my old dial-up it constantly rang up
the internet connection every time I answered yes to the send mail prompt
within pine.  I never could figure out how to avoid that one.

Another thing: add a line to your ip-up script like this:
sendmail -q
to force sendmail to attempt delivery of the accumulated messages.
Otherwise you could wait the maximum interval sendmail uses for it to
automatically resend mail without it.  The script change will speed that up
some.