do i need swap

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Sun Jul 22 17:47:13 EDT 2001

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Raul A. Gallegos wrote:
> Hi.  I don't remember off hand where I read this but somewhere some swap docs said that if your swap is larger than 128 megs none of the space after 128
> megs will be used anyway so if you will have a swap to not make it more than 128 megs in size to avoid wasting disk space.

Hmm, well I went and started looking this all up. Linux *used* to have a
limit of 128 MB per partition with no limit on the number of
partitions. This however, is no longer the case. The maximum usable size
of the swap partition now varies with architecture. For the majority of us
(running intel platform) that size is now 2 GB. So, have fun and make
large partitions.

Of course this also starts to beg the question if I should not save up and
build a machine with monstrously large amounts of memory and swap size. I
mean I can get 256 MB DIMMs for less then $100, and 15 GB hard drives for
another $100. Thus, I could design a system with say 3/4 gigabyte of
memory and 60 gigabytes of drive space for less then a grand. (Not that I
have a use for such a system.)

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

The mind is like a parachute; it works much better when open.
If you're too open minded, your brains will fall out.