please, very very please help with g++

Gregory Nowak romualt at megsinet.net
Fri Jul 20 23:41:52 EDT 2001

Hi all,

I'm getting very desperate, and am at the point of *begging* grasiously for help.
I've tried everything I could think of, and am at a
*complete* loss as to what the problem is.
Ok, enough wining and grobleing (grin).
I'm running slackware 7.1 with kernel 2.4.6,
with the latest ppp, util-linux, modutils, e2fsprogs (all the packages mentioned in Documentation/Changes for 2.4.x kernels).
All of the packages just mentioned run fine, but
I want to make sure that I describe my setup.
The problem is that g++ won't compile
*anything at all*. It always complains about files included from iostream.h.
I wrote a while back about not being able to compile afix.
As it turns out, the reason for that is my g++ pproblem.
I proceded to reinstall all slackware 7.1 packages on my already running system
(even the a series which I know is dangerous to do).
The problem persists.
I then upgrade to gcc-2.95.2, and the problem is still there.
In other words, I did everything I possibly could do, and the problem doesn't go away.
Yes, I know I could reinstall the system from scratch,
but I really don't really want to do that
if I can avoid it. I'd have to back up all the config files I want to keep,
and reinstall timidity and lots of other software that doesn't come with Linux
and that needs to be compiled.
I've got all thoes sources on cd, but it would
just be a grate pain.
I've attached helloworld.cpp which I wrote, and the output from g++
to demonstrate the problem.
If anyone has a clue of any sort as to what's going on here,
please, please help.
If I should give more info, also please let me know.
I should note that I downgraded back to egcs-2.91.66 (or whatever the number is,
you know what I mean).
Thanks for any help in advance.
Greg

P.S. The attached output is the same for any c++ program
I try to compile.
Gcc itself works fine, since I can compile kernels, the problem
is limitted to c++ it seems like.

Also, I don't know when this happened, as I don't
compile c++ source often. I don't remember even when the last
time was that I compiled working c++ code, maybe 6-7 months ago?.
Consequently, I can't really say what might have changed to cause this behaivor.