seeking advice for speeders

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Sat Jul 14 07:10:04 EDT 2001

I really appreciate all the responses so far -

I had a long talk with a phone company sales rep the other day and he made
the whole thing sound so easy and inexpensive that I now do not believe a
word he told me! Am I paranoid, or are some of these things suspicious? He
assures me I will not have to change my ISP when I sign up for DSL. He
says the modem is free, no installation fee, no hardware needs to be put
inside my machine. He says the disk that comes with it has software both
for Windows and for Linux systems. He says I can puyt it on my one and
only line (although I presently have two) and use it without affecting
incoming or outgoing voice calls.

I understand about bandwidth sharing - the economics and time-of-day
distribution problem, but hell, I have that problem even now occasionally,
although my ISP has greatly improved its throughput in the last year or
so. The system supervisor at my ISP is a Linux freak too
(woops! enthusiast) although the tech support staff is not. He monitors
their email traffic, so when I ask  a question of them he has often
intercepted my queries himself - he says he "looks forward" to my
email. Well hell, I look forward to his too. I have not yet talked to my
ISP about it, because I expect they will badmouth DSL in view of their
promotional stuff right now. The phone company had nothing to say about
cable at all.

The monthly cost for me with DSL would be about twice what I am presently
paying for my second line, which is easily within my budget. I am leaning
toward DSL.

Thanks again - Chuck

Visit me at http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh  (Yahoo ID: hallenbeck2002)