seeking advice for speeders

Terry D. Cudney terry at wasagacottage.com
Fri Jul 13 11:39:04 EDT 2001

Hi Chuck,

	For what it's worth, my experience with Rogers Cable and now Sympatico DSL:

	I used Rogers Cable (DHCP) for about two years and was quite happy with it until they started to raise their prices and the performance to deteriorate. As more people (locally) started to use the cable service, things really started to slow down, expecially at peak hours. There were times when I'd get equal or better throughput from my old 56k dialup modem. As I understand it, all the users connected on the local leg of the cable system share the available bandwidth. The more people connected (and doing transfers) the slower things get for each individual.

	Now, with Sympatico, (ADSL), there is a direct line from me to the local switching office. There is still slowdown at peak hours (the whole 'net slows down at some hours of the day, usually 4-8 pm), but the slowdown is not as severe as it was with cable. As well for me, DSL has worked out to be cheaper on a monthly rate. ADSL uses PPP over Ethernet protocol.

	DHCP is readily available as part of (I think all) the distributions. PPPoE is alfso readily available from several places, although, to my knowledge it's not part of any distribution. One place to get the  PPPoE package is www.roaringpenguin.com (thanks Kirk!).

	Your mileage will surely vary.

	HTH,

		--terry

Name:	Terry D. Cudney