boot disk

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Fri Jul 13 16:04:50 EDT 2001

Hi, Richard:

The floppy disk images are on the first CDR in the 5 disk Redhat 7.1 set
that you got from us at ACB in Des Moines last week.

The README file explains the basics. But here they are anyway:

The directory called images contains floppy disk images. Which one you
need depends on how you will be doing the installation. For example,
you'll need the pcmcia.img if you will be installing over a network
connection. Yes, you can do that if your target machine doesn't have a CD
ROM, but does have ethernet--and another computer you have does have a CD
ROM. Most often, boot.img is all you will need;

2.)	There is a directory called dosutils. Inside there is an
executable for DOS called rawrite.exe. Use it to create the floppy disk.
It will prompt you for the source image file (boot.img, for example), and
your target device (A for A:>, for example);

WARNING: Turn off your screen reader before pressing enter on the target
device. It truly can mess up the creation of the floppy image.

Once you create the floppy, the old instructions pertain. Monitor disk
activity for the pause that doesn't talk. Just like with the CDR, this is
where you need to type:

	text speakup_synth=XXXX

where XXXX stands for your synthesizer a la the appropriate speakup
keyword -- dtlk for the Doubletalk internal, dectlk for the DEC Talk
Express, ltlk for the external Doubletalk/Litetalk, etc., etc.

PS: It's in fact this same image in the images directory that the bootable
cdrom uses to start the installation process. Nifty, huh?
 On Fri, 13
Jul 2001, Richard Villa wrote:

> Well, here I am again with a question.
>
> The machine that I want to load Linux on does not have the setting to boot
> of the cd, so can someone tell me where I can find the floppy image that
> will boot to start the install.
>
> Richard

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development