dosemu yet again: sorry

Gene Collins collins at gene3.ait.iastate.edu
Thu Jul 12 17:16:44 EDT 2001

Hi Greg.  You can't steal the mscdex from some version of DOS and have
it work with Free DOS.  There is a web site for Free DOS where you can
download all the pieces of Free DOS you are missing, but the url escapes
me at the moment, and I don't recall where I read about it.  Hummm, that
must mean I'm getting old, right?  Anyway, searching on one of the
search engines on the net for free doss should turn it up.  The problem
is that each specific DOS command, such as mscdex is designed to work
only with the version it came with.

Janina was commenting earlier about running full-screen DOS programs
like Word Perfect 5.1 and the like with ASAP.  I run ASAP with my dosemu
sessions all the time, and use such programs as the ONLINE BIBLE,
FOXPRO, etc. with no problem.  Of course, I am using a serial synth, a
LiteTalk, and not a built-in synth like the DoubleTalk.  It probably is
posible to teach dosemu how to access the built-in synthesizers, but I
haven't figured that out yet.

Gene