A few questions

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.eu.org
Thu Jul 12 01:15:20 EDT 2001

16 megs is enough for console stuff unless you fire up emacs.
It is X that chews ram, and the GUI fluff in Redhat as well.
Disable all of that and 16-megs should be fine if you have 16-32m swap. You'll
run out of ram if you don't have swap and you try to compile a kernel.
Now 8 megs, that's evil with a 2.2.x or 2.4.x kernel.
I remember booting 0.99p5 up on 2 megs of ram and having it crawl but run in 4 megs.
Ah those were the days.

Regards, Kerry.