rh ip alias question

Raul A. Gallegos raul at asmodean.net
Tue Jul 10 13:28:20 EDT 2001

Hi guys.  I know next to nithing about  how redhat has ip networking setup
and I have a question.  I have a box which has a 192.168.1.2 ip address
and I need to alias 192.168.2.2 as well on it.  In looking at
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts I  see a file called ifcfg-eth0 which has
the information for the first IP 192.168.1.2.  I know I can easily add the
2nd Ip alias to rc.local but I want to do this and follow the rh standard
ofr configuring the netowrk.  So my question is do I add the ip alias to a
new file called ifcfg-eth0:1 or do I add it to the existing ifcfg-eth0
devining eth0:1 in the file itself?  I'm confused on this point because in
the file ifcfg-eth0 it specifies a device line which says DEVICE=eth0 and
under it has the necessary IP network and subnet lines.  So I'm not sure
if under all that I specify a DEVICE=eth0:1.

Any help?

---
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals..  Then
something happened, which unleashed the power of our imagination...
We learned to talk...
---