OFF TOPIC - LINUX NETWORKING

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Mon Jul 9 14:02:48 EDT 2001

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> Why?
> I have 4 machines here, and they all go over the same cross over cable
> which gets switched from machine to machine as it's needed.
> Two of the boxes run slackware, and they connect
> with themselves as well as their windows
> counterparts just fine.
> Besides, if the windows boxes connect to the linux boxes just
> fine over the cross over cable,
> then I really don't see how a hub would help.

Well lets start with the fact that some network cards don't work properly
using a cross over cable. Then follow by the fact that no vendor I know of
will support a machine using a cross over cable.

I would also add that this eliminates the "oops, the cable is between the
wrong two boxes" errors. It also answers more of how the network is
setup. Right now, we don't know that he doesn't have two network cards in
one or more machines with one being expected to act as a router. This may
work, but is less then optimal and much more difficult to troubleshoot. It
is much easier to deal with problems when the problem is simplified.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

The mind is like a parachute; it works much better when open.
If your too open minded, your brains will fall out.