E-mail - clients & transporters

Holmes, Steve SAHolmes at ahcccs.state.az.us
Wed Jan 31 09:43:16 EST 2001

Sendmail's default behavior is to attempt immediate delivery when the mail
is initially sent.  If that is unsuccessful, then it will try again every 15
minutes until successful or when it times out.  If you're currently not
connected when finishing a piece of e-mail, then that first attempt will
simply fail without incident and remain queued till later.  The retry
interval can also be changed or eliminated completely by the command line
that invokes sendmail (most likely in your rc.inet script(s)).

When you actually go online, you could force sendmail to attempt delivery of
its entire queue; if I remember right, you would say 'sendmail -q' to do
this.