E-mail - clients & transporters

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Sun Jan 28 23:36:21 EST 2001

Hi:

Root's home directory is generally /root.  However, I'd suggest not using
root to deal with mail, it's just not the done thing.  Just because root is
the only account that can start and stop PPP, doesn't mean that you can't
access the connection with any other account.

The easiest and safest way to allow user access to such things is to find
out what group has execute permissions and put your user account in it.
For example, on my system, PPPD is owned by root and the dip group.  This
means that if I put myself in the dip group and the dip group has execute
permission on PPPD, I will be able to fire up PPP.  To put yourself in a
group is easy.  Just edit the /etc/group file.  It'll probably have a line
that looks like this:

dip:x:30:

If there's already an account in the group, it'll look like this:

dip:x:30:user

all you have to do is to add yourself to the end of the line.  If the group
has at least one user in  it already, put a comma and then your user
account, without any spaces, like so:

dip:x:30:user1,user2,user3

The lack of spaces is important.  I had something rewrite this with spaces
once and I had a jolly old time trying to work out why audio permissions
suddenly stopped working.

You can get a list of the groups you're in by typing 'groups'.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Geoff.